I personally I have never been a fan of leggings, for those of you who don’t know me, I am tall and slim and everyone says to me of course you can wear them !! but I have never felt comfortable as I have thin legs and large knees and for that reason tend to only wear them at my Yoga class or relaxing at home.
Any body shape can carry off leggings as long as you follow the rules:
- The top is long and over your bottom (the longer the better) this covers up the larger area around the tummy, top of the legs and larger hips
- Tunics or a dress or perhaps I long line jumper
- A long line jacket that is defined at the waist is good
- Avoid anything that clings or is cropped unless you have a good body
- It is wise to invest in a good pair and avoid the cheap versions as they will cling to the body and show all the lumps and bumps which is not a good look.
- Also stick to plain colours and avoid busy patterns.
- So my advise is to invest in a good quality pair in a plain colour which will give the look of a pair of skinny jeans/jeggins but with the added benefit of the comfort.
So which is the best way to wear them – I think they look the best tucked into a pair of knee high boots or short ankle boots but some prefer a flat pair of shoes (ballet pumps or loafers)
The answer to the question “Should a women of a certain age wear leggings?” If you follow the guide above I don’t see why not, but the bottom line is, you have to feel comfortable in what you are wearing and not every outfit is suitable for every occasion but they certainly have a place in most women’s wardrobe.